Friday, January 8, 2010



I must admit that until about two years ago I had never made brownies from scratch. I learned quickly after finding that a box of brownie mix is no comparison to doing it yourself. Although they sometimes don’t turn out as well as Ghirardelli, Betty Crocker, or Hershey’s I am willing to sacrifice a box for a home-made version. I began my brownie quest with chocolate, but then slowly moved onto chocolate-chocolate chip, dark chocolate, extra chocolate, death by chocolate, and any combination of chocolate brownie I could find or come up with. My quest came to a standstill when a co-worker brought in her own recipe of a chocolate-caramel-coconut brownie concoction. I have truly never been able to create anything that has come close to the greatness that her brownie achieves. It is hard for me to describe the anger and sadness that I felt when she told me that her brownie recipe was unavailable for sharing. All I could gain was that the brownies contained condensed milk. Since my brush with greatness I have continued to search for a brownie that can slightly compare. I have merely skimmed the surface with these marshmallow-chocolate-chocolate chip brownies. They are delicious and layered: brownie, marshmallow frosting, and chocolate frosting, with chocolate chip chunks throughout. Although these are quite sugary and rich, the balance of flavors brings this brownie to a rating of 7 out of 10. The downfall of these brownies falls in their need to be refrigerated; this is not a brownie one can serve warm with ice cream melting from atop.
So alas my search for the perfect brownie continues…

1 comment: